Sunday, May 24, 2009

TIME TO CATCH UP...







The last few days have been rather hectic. The course has been going well, and there has been so much to take in. The theory part is now over, and the next two weeks are filled with prac teaching. My first lesson is on Tuesday at 5pm to a small group of adult learners who are basic beginners. Our trainers set the theme for the lesson and then its up to us to plan the lesson with all the activities etc. Because this class is basic, their understanding and ability to speak English is quite limited, so I have to rely on gestures, modelling what I want them to do and playing some basic games to teach my lesson. I am looking forward to the class. The input that we have had during these 2 theory weeks have been phenomenal. My brain has never worked this hard before, but I am so enjoying the intellectual input. It like I've switched on the light and the room has become illuminated. The small hurdle that I still have to overcome is tomorrows Grammar Assessment. Its been over 20 years since I've had to worry about past perfect progressive tenses, modals and auxiliary verbs!!!! I have been doing quite a bit of revision, so now please everyone hold thumbs!!

Well we know what they say about all work and no play...... so this afternoon I took a walk down to the neighbourhood of Abasto

This neighbourhood is a good 16 blocks from my apartment but I thought that a walk would be good, I practiced my verb tenses as I went along " I walk , I am walking ..... "

One of the many things that I have noticed about Argentianians is that they really love to shop. Clothes and shoes rank nuber 1 here, and not just for women. There are equal number of cloyhing shops for men. The men here are well groomed, well dressed and dare I say quite sexy!! So they love to shop to. So it feed this need of shopping are main shopping centres in the Barrios, such as Palermo Alto, Patio Bullrich, Galleria Pacifico and Abasto. These centres are huge and are filled with all local and international brands and designers, Cacharel, Lacroix, Dior as well as local chains. The Abasto Mall is something else. It is housed in the old Muncipal Mercado, it was once a huge fresh produce market. But has been re-modelled into a three story centre. The building is a fine example of Art Deco Architecture. I love just sitting or walking around and taking the scenes in around me.

Apart from shopping Argentians also love sweet things... Dulce de Leche being a firm favourite. Ice cream or helado comes quite high on the list. So since I had n't had a little icecream in a while I had one. The iceream shop I went into was fatal - probably 40 flavours to choose from.. I chose 2 - swiss chocolate and someother flavour that was vanila based but with chocolate shavings added... no wonder I haven't last any weight! It was sublime. I then wandered around the centre and then decided to go off in search of the Carlos Gardel Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment