Sunday, May 10, 2009

DAY 1 - thursday 7 may 2009 (the morning)

After a good nights sleep, I decided that it was time to go and explore. Buenos Aires is a huge city and Avenue Santa Fe is possibly the longest street in the city. My apartment is three blocks away. Ave Santa Fe is filled with shops and stores, restaurants and cafes. One of my favourite stores, is the book shop El Ateneo. El Ateneo is a chain of book stores similar to Exclusive Books. The store on Ave Santa Fe is their flagship. It is also the biggest bookstore in South America. It is housed in the restored Grand Splendid Theatre (built in 1919). The balconies hold bookshelves and there are cosy reading nooks in the boxes and a cafe on the stage. I took a break and had a cafe con leche (what we know as cappuccino), and just admired the absolute beauty of this store. Once my caffeine boost had kicked in I was ready to tackle more kilometers on the Ave. I decide to take the subte (the underground) to the neighbourhood of Belgrano.

No comments:

Post a Comment