Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday Relaxing




I had a really nice chill out day today. After the family skype time I decided that I needed to stock up on some provisions for the week so I went down to the local supermarket. Now I have been told never shop on an empty stomach, so lucky for me the supermarket has a really good little coffee shop and I ordered my usual Cafe con leche, but this time I ordered it with 2 medaluna. They are the most delicious little pastries. I have resisted for over a week now but I just couldn't hold back any more - mmm, they were so worth it. I guess that means at least another extra few km's of walking this week... Anyway, I did my shopping and came back with bags of health goods ready for my breakfast and luch everyday and at least 3 dinners worth of groceries.






I did a bit of grammar review for the TEFL course. I am loving the course, it is just so good to have that intellectual input. I have learnt so much this past week, the most important thing though is that my English grammar is crap!!! I'm okay with verbs, and nouns, and adjectives etc. but the Past Perfect Progressive Tense and the like just aren't working for me. I borrowed a CD and downloaded a whole heap of worksheets and tests, so hopefully when we do our grammar assessment I'll be ok. We have another week of theory and then during week 3-4 we start our practical teaching. A little bit nerve wracking! We teach 6 lessons and the are assessed by one of our trainers and also one of our class mates, and of course our own self assessment.






Cucky (pronounced cookie) took me out for lunch today. Cuckie owns the apartment that I am renting a room in. She is a lovely lady, lots of fun and she is very good at English. So because she just wants to practice her English skills, I don't really get time to increase my Spanish, ah well. I am now continuing with the audio tapes that I started with in SA. They make more sense to me now. Anyway we went for a lovely drive and ended up at a restaurant on the banks of the Rio Del La Plata. We had traditional food of a grilled provoleta cheese , which was very tasty, and then a piece of meat (not sure, but I think it was beef) it was about 3cm thick and about the size of an A3 piece of paper. It was so tender and delicious. The dish was called Matambre Tiernizado. I must look this up to see what it is all about. From there we drove through to San Isidro, an old part of the outer suburbs. Property is very expensive in this area, as it is rather exclusive. The Cathedral at San Isidro is a splendid example of Neo-Gothic Architecture. By then it was time for some afternoon coffee, so Cucky took me to her Country club. Oh wow, it was so grand. The grounds are just awesome, the golf course looked beautiful, there is also a Olympic size swimming pool and polo fields. Autumn is such a beautiful time of the year, although the trees on the golf course are mostly evergreen, around the club house are beautiful Acers and Liquidambers with their turning leaves of red and gold. We had each had a coffee and shared one of the most delicious chocolate tarts I ever eaten. I guess that definitely means walking extra km's tomorrow.






2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, I enjoy reading your Blog.
    i think it would be better if we talk on Sunday at 2.00pm our time
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so popular. It really sounds like you are enjoying yourself. Understandably you feel aprehensive being back at school (it has been a while since you were last there). Perhaps, if you go out with Cookie again, you can arrange to speak Eng./Spanish on alternative outings. Talk on Sunday, in the meantime have a lovely day/evening. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete