Sunday, May 10, 2009

DAY 2 - friday 8 may 2009

Had a bit of a sleep in, trying to be healthy here and had green tea and fruit for breekie. Decide that after yesterday's "big walk" around the city that I would take it easy. Recently I read a book entitled The Tango Singer, can't remember the author, but the story takes place in Buenos Aires and one of the places mentioned was the "palace of running water" - so being the quizzy beak that I am I had to go and find it and check it out. Well it wasn't too difficult to find and it was really worth it. The Palcio de las Aquas Corrientes - the palacio once housed the headquarters of Aquas Argentina, the city's water board. The building is huge and is one of the most stunning civil buildings. it is decorated terracotta tiles imported from Leeds, green slate from France and marble from Azul in the Buenos Aires Province. There is an interesting museum in the building that explains the history of water sanitation in Argentina and the world.
Came back to the apartment after lunch, which I had at the little restaurant 2 doors down from the apartment. Parrilla campo chico, is a real locals eatery. I had one of the specials which included a small salad and lettuce and tomato, a quarter chicken and chips, a bottle of mineral water and a fruit salad and it cost me $29 (peso). Had a call from Nazareno. Who you ask is Nazareno? Even Cookie could not believe that after only 2 days in the city I was getting calls from men inviting me for drinks.... well Nazareno is a colleague of Fred Phol who is one of our Brad's Bistro customers, Fred emailed Nazareno and told him to contact me which he did. So we have arranged to go out for a drink tonight. But in true portena style we will only be going out at 10.30pm. Way past my bedtime, think I should have a siesta!
The drinks were great, went to a lovely bar/restaurant off Ave Santa Fe, a really popular place. Nazareno's English is very good. He is a lawyer in the city (which is good to know if I ever need legal advice or help). Last year he visited South Africa and really enjoyed his time there. He loves South African girls - although they should look like Charlize Theron, not necessarily come from Benoni, but that might be an advantage. (any likely candidates can respond to this blog!)...
Four of his friends joined us and we had a brilliant time. Eventually arrived back at 2.30am. Can't remember when I last did that! We had a lovely bottle of wine. Now I'm not a fan of Chardonnay, but this one was stunning. Un-wooded with hints of green grass and citrus overtones!, anyway I must look out for it in the supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment