Sunday, May 10, 2009

DAY 1 - thursday 7 may 2009 continued....


Belgrano is a thriving and powerful neighbourhood, where old mansions and modern skyscrapers and noble building live side by side. I decided to visit the Museo de Arte Espanol. The museum is located in a large house surrounded by a magnificent Spanish-Moresque garden. The museum is in the shape of a Spanish Renaissance palace and houses a significant collection of painting , furniture and carving pieces circa 1880. The garden is awesome and is dominated by a Ginkgo Balboa Tree which because it is autumn is covered in golden leaves which are beginning to drop. It was as if the entire garden was encapsulated in a golden light.
Across the road from the Chinese stores, supermarkets and restaurants covered about 3 blocks, it was kind of weird hearing Chinese people speaking Spanish! The selection of lunch options was mind blowing, but being the little sushi pig that I am, I settle for sushi rolls filled with Salmon, avo and cream cheese. While I was sitting eating I realised what a small world we really live in. Here I was a South African, in Argentina, eating sushi in a Chinese restaurant....... well after that philosophical moment I decided that I needed to get back to the real world, so I headed back to Ave Santa Fe in search of a cell phone shop. Have you ever tried to buy a cell phone in Spanish from an assistant who doesn't speak English. Remember my Spanish goes as far as asking "can you speak English?" normally followed by a definite "NO", followed by me "oh shit!". actually buying the phone was the easy part, it was trying to figure out the Spanish instructions that was the tricky part.... will need to get help on this one!
On the way home decided that I should stock up on a few provisions from the supermercado (supermarket). Finally got home and couldn't figure out why I was feeling so tired. Checked my pedometer... holy moley! I had walked 27km. More great adventure to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment