Saturday, April 16, 2011

An Autumn Saturday (16 April 2011)






I know over the last two weeks or so I have been catching up on my blog entries from 2010 but today's entry is from today!! It was a perfect Autumn Day and we decided to get out of the apartment and enjoy the good weather.

While taking a coffee this week I read about a new exhibition at the Museo Evita. A group of art students were all given identical copies of busts of Evita and Juan Peron, they then had to interpret them in their own way - some really awesome work. I took a couple of photos for you to look at.




 This exhibition opened yesterday and runs until the end of the month and is well worth a visit.
"The Holy Trinity"
 The museum is dedicated to Eva Peron, and is housed in an early 20th century mansion that was converted into a shelter for the homeless when it was bought by the Evita Peron Foundation in 1948. The displays trace the life and passions of this amazing woman.   I think that the most impressive exhibits are a collection of her personal items, particularly shoes and hats and a number of outfits from her Dior Collection!

There are also exhibits from her early radio and acting career. Archived footage of her inspiring speeches from the Casa Rosada, and then of course of her funeral in 1952, which extended for over four days. She was only 33 when she died of cancer. In the six years as the wife of the President, she achieved amazing things. Most notably getting the vote for the women of Argentina.



Trying those tasty chicken feet!!

After the museum visit we were feeling a little hungry so we jumped on the bus and headed to barrio chino (China Town). This is one of our favourite neighbourhoods, the supermarket is awesome with a selection of produce from all over the world, but particularly of Asian influence, and our favourite Chinese restaurant is right next door to the supermarket. The restaurant Todas contentos, which when translated means Totally Content, pretty much sums up how you feel after your meal. Today, Brad has an enormous bowl of soup made with chicken stock, bamboo, noodles, fresh carrot and red pepper, mushrooms and of course egg and noodles. I had my favourite - Pork rolls with sticky rice and sweet and sour sauce - yum!
At the entrance of China Town is a little kiosk that sells authentic Chinese street food, I have always been curious about a few of the items sold there and so today I decided to buy and try a chicken foot. What does it taste like?

The basting had a spicy sweet sour taste, the actual claw was very tender, a little fatty but the bones were very soft and easy to eat. It was an interesting experience. Would I do it again? Probably not! somethings are best just tried once....

1 comment:

  1. Now that you mention Museo Evita it remids me of the time I went to the Recoleta Cemetary and visited Evita´s tomb. I was staying in a buenos aires apartment very near the cemetary so I decided to go there every morning to be able to explore it better. I learnt a lot about Argentinean history. It turned out that she was not as loved by the people as history books show.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete