Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Asado in La Blanqueda




La Blanqueda is a tiny farming community about a 25min drive outside of Navarro. Ricardo spends alot of time there with friends who have a small dairy farm. Like us he is a 'country person' by heart. Anyhow every year this community have an end of year gathering. I felt rather privileged to have been invited as an outsider. It was certainly good practice for our Spanish as no-one except Ricardo spoke English. But oh my word!! the food.... we started with empanadas (the little turn over pies), then there was bread and salads and then came the meat... platters and platters of the most tasty, delicious, tender beef that I have ever eaten in my life. The best part of this was that it never seemed to end - this wonderful procession of tender beef on platters. Needless to say by the time the desserts came out I was up to my gills!!! but little miss piggy did have to try some. We left the asado around 2am, caught a remise back to town and spent about 4hours sleeping in the hotel. As Ricardo, Karin and I had to work on the Monday, we caught the 6am bus back to Buenos Aires to be at work by 9am. It was heavy going that Monday, and of course it was an early night with no food as I was still so full from the night before. One thing about Argentines, their food selection may not be too varied, but what they do they do well.....

No comments:

Post a Comment