Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Weekend















Life is so hectic. I finished my TEFL course on Friday and we had a "graduation" dinner at an excellent parilla in Palermo. After the dinner a few of us went off to a house party, it was really good and I got to meet a whole new crowd of people - local and foreign. It was another late night/early morning!!! Just spent Saturday goofing around. I had to change rooms, because I extended my stay the room I was in had already been booked, so I "packed up" and shifted across the passage. The big move will be on 17th when I move into our new home. Might need to organise a moving in party!! Saturday evening I met up with Nazareno, (he was the guy who took me out my first Friday in BA) I met his sister and his mum. We went out for coffee and cake - which did seem a little strange to me at 7.30pm, but I suppose that what you do to tide you over till supper which is like 10.30-11 pm! Nazareno's mum learnt English at school, but hasn't really used it 40 years, and my Spanish is rather poor. I know some vocab - but can't really make complete sentences...... it was an interesting evening..... Nazareno was the official interpreter. So when I came home I decided that was it!!! I AM GOING TO LEARN SPANISH. I found a good school, not too expensive, their curriculum was put together well. So I signed up - 60hrs in 3 weeks. I started yesterday, so 2 lessons down and I am loving it. I have 2 other students in my class - a husband and wife from Sydney, Australia. So it is almost like having private lessons. Next blog post might even be in Spanish!! The school organises 'cultural' outings and activities, watching movies going to museums and tango classes, as well as conversation group to practice talking, eat empanada and drink mate. The classes are in the morning from 9-1. So I have scheduled job interviews for the afternoons. Not too much around at the moment, am going to advertise private lessons, and see how that goes. I will keep looking at the language schools, something will come up. Sunday was a great day. Afternoon Asado on the deck. Evan, Chris and Mike invited a whole crowd around for Asado (barbeque or braai), it was grand. The weather was clear but icy cold so it was so nice to sit on the apartment deck around the fire. After eating and drinking we were up for some darts and pool, so we headed off to the local sports bar and played pool and then the jugs of beer just kept flowing and the drinking games began. It was like being a student all over again. Great fun, but not sure that I could do it all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment