Sunday, June 28, 2009

PLAZA MAFALDA and surrounding areas....









Oops hit the wrong button, and now ended up with two parts to the story, anyway as I was trying to say. Mafalda is a comic strip written and drawn by the Argentine cartoonist Joaquín Salvador Lavado (pen name Quino). The strip features a girl named Mafalda (5 years old at the time of the comic's creation) who is deeply concerned about humanity and world peace and rebels against the world as it is. The strip ran from 1964 to 1973 and was very popular in Latin America, Europe and in Asia, leading to two animated cartoon series and a movie. On our last visit I bought Brad the 5 English Translated books. For those that don't know Brad is a cartoon junkie - anyway I just think Mafalda is so cute! and so I had to go to the Plaza. I caught the subte across town and then walked 12 clocks to get there. Unfortunately there was no Mafalda statue, but there were murals around the park, many defaced with graffiti tags - but I did get to hear a percussion band that was practising in the park. As I left the park, I found the most awesome Antique market - Mercado de las Pulgas. Wow! did it have amazing stuff and at very good prices too. So if I ever have to furnish our own place I know where I will head off...
I then decided to carry on walking to Palermo. Palermo is really one of the most vibey neighbourhoods in the city. So after walking another 13 blocks... to Plazza Sorreno, the heart of Palermo Viejo, I needed a drink. I thought that I would sit at one of the side walk cafe, drink some wine, people what and be cool!!!! I did and it was fantastic. The only "problem" was that the cafe I chose didn't serve wine by the glass only by the 375ml bottle!!! So then I decided that I needed to eat something, couldn't drink all that on an empty tum... I ordered "una hamburguesa solo" (roughly translated plain hamburger!) no problems, a dry toasted sesame bun with a grilled burger patty arrived, with some mayonnaise spread on the bun, it was rather tasty, but then anything would probably taste good after all the San Felippe I had drunk!
I once ordered a Hamburguesa complejo - it arrived with everything - lettuce, tomato, and the obligatory ham and cheese (jamon y queso). Argentines love their ham and cheese, it is on everything and sometimes for a change they have cheese and ham!!! Well at least there is no problem with deciding what sandwich filling to choose.
Came back to the apartment and watched a Julia Roberts Trilogy - Erin Brokwitz, Notting Hill and My Best Friend's Wedding! oh no I'm turning into a TV junkie!! After all that went to bed, and I must say I was very relieved this morning when I looked in the mirror and saw that my eyes had not turned square!!

No comments:

Post a Comment