Sunday, August 30, 2009

jardin japon / the japanese garden







The weather the last couple of days has been rather warm with temperatures in the late 20's early 30's.....so I thought that with spring in the air it was a good time to head down to the Japanese Gardens and take in the spring blossoms. I had also heard about the Japanese Tea Ceremony on Saturday afternoons.... dressed in my summer best I ventured off. Brad hasn't been feeling to well lately so decided to stay in the coolth of the apartment and rest up.
The gardens were donated to the city in 1979, by the small Japanese community of Buenos Aires as part of the preparation for the state visit by the Japanese Imperial Family. Once you've paid the 8 peso entrance and entered into the garden, you really feel that you have been transported to another country. The garden is surrounded by 2 main streets, but the you don't hear a thing inside the garden. It is so tranquil and immaculately tended. The gardens include a bonsai section and standing stones. I think my timing was a bit off (about a week early) to see the almond, prunes and lime trees in blossom and the azaleas in bloom. But there were a few early bloomers so I just used my imagination, might also visit again next week! The man made lake with its stepping stones and red lacquered bridges are so authentic. The Koi in the lake are huge and you can by packets of food to feed them, a favourite with the kids! The cultural centre which is positioned at the back of the garden is designed like a temple and also houses a Japanese restaurant and cafe. The panoramic views from the terraces are brilliant. There is also a little plant nursery and a library. I was really impressed by the whole set up. It was also lovely to see all the people in the garden, young lovers kissing under the pines, grandparents with their grandchildren feeding the Koi and families out enjoying themselves.

I stayed for the tea ceremony, it was really beautiful to watch the three women in their kimono's performing this ancient ritual. I did decided after that I know why tea bags were invented... if I had to wait 20minutes to get a sip of tea, I would rather turn on the kettle and pop a tea bag in a mug!!! I know I know not as romantic.... but sure is a lot quicker!

No comments:

Post a Comment